Web Design by Mary Hernandez
Web Design is one of the services available through Hernandez Web Services (psst, it’s also one of our favorite projects). New web design is one of the most enjoyable projects we undertake, although I’ll be the first to admit a new website takes months and months to complete. I build websites in WordPress. If you are looking for an HTML, Joomla, or another platform – I’m just not the web designer for you.
If you’d like to see some of my websites, please look over my portfolio pages to see if my web design style is a fit for you. There are a few things for you to keep in mind when you are searching for the right web designer.
- Just because a website is trendy doesn’t mean it will rank well. A good site is designed well and also ranks well. One of many reasons why I love WordPress is because I have the flexibility to create well designed websites that also rank very, very well.
- Do you want to own your site, or do you want the web designer to own your site? I know the answer seems obvious, right. Yet, so many customers will happily pay thousands of dollars to a designer for them to design a site that the designer owns, not the business. Consider how much involvement you want and if it makes sense for you to give over your domain, hosting, and website to your designer. What will you do if the relationship sours? How will you get your domain and email back from the original designer once the relationship does sour? Consider purchasing the domain yourself before you hire anyone. At least then you own your domain and no one can require that you transfer it to them. It will protect you and require that they work for your best interest.
- Are you looking for a website that is fully customized, or are you happy with a website that is built from a theme and customized for your business? It looks fully customized but isn’t. You wouldn’t believe how much money the second scenario will save you if you are a dollars conscious individual. Some businesses want custom and that’s ok. I customize predesigned themes for my clients. The site will be fully yours. It will have your branding. However, if you want someone at your business to manage the site, you will be able to do so very easily. I find this suits small business owners best because you can make adjustments on the fly and still have beautiful pages that are fully functional. You can also hire me to do it for you if you can’t find the time. Win-Win-Win-Win!
- Do you have images ready for your website that can be integrated into the web design? This is a big piece in today’s websites that you need to consider carefully. If not, how will you obtain the images you need? I can always pull images from BigStock for you, but your site will look better if you can use your own images whenever possible. Will you need to hire a professional photographer? Can you take them yourself? Would you prefer to pay me to come in and take some for you?
- What about video? Have you considered how you will integrate video into your web design? Images combined together with you doing a voice over works. So does hiring a professional do it. But, video is how people are communicating today. So, consider how you can be on the leading edge by providing video to your audience in an easy to digest format. That means, video plus the transcript of the video. This will fit the way all of your audiences digest information and get you further along in the process of results in your web design.
- How will you provide the content for your site? Will you need me to write your content as well as the design? Of course, I’m happy to provide this service with the understanding that I don’t know your business and can only do so much if you don’t provide anything. The more information you give me, the better your content will be and the better your site will convert. We’ll need to spend some time talking about you and your business. You might be asked to talk to clients that you have a good relationship with about your business. This will give us great insight into why people like to buy from you and how we can appeal to other buyers. I also always suggest knowing what your competition is doing online so that you can do it better (if it applies to your business). DO NOT COPY YOUR COMPETITION! Do it better than your competition. Are they missing a video? Make one. No graphics? Make some. Not enough copy. Make great copy. Integrate all three and your audience will love your content. Don’t forget about voice search, which is also becoming popular. There are quite a few ways to generate great copy for your website. We just need to talk about what you have to offer and what makes you different from your competition.
- Sometimes simple is better. I love sites that are simple visually, and easy to navigate. I make every effort to emulate this philosophy in the sites that I create. My client’s users provide excellent feedback that their sites are so much easier to use than the competition. Keep in mind, the end user’s experience is the goal. We want them to have as positive an experience as possible. Think about how you can incorporate your ideas into the best possible user experience and you’ve got the perfect site.
I’m excited that you are considering my ideas about web design before you start your new project. Getting to the end result of your new website will be worth all of the time you put in to the pre-design now. Trust me, you’ll love it and so will your customers!
Contact me so that we can talk about your ideas and come up with a plan for execution.